Thursday, October 9, 2008

"HIS TUMMY IS BIG!"

So, this morning Jerry the electrician is here fixing some electrical issues in the kitchen. Jerry is probably 60ish. He has been here a few times and is very friendly, so Matthew and I are friends with him. This morning after chatting with Jerry for a few minutes, Matthew looks at me and says, "His tummy is big!" I just looked at him (while registering what he said, and that it wasn't quite right) Well, thinking I didn't hear, Matthew says it lounder..."HIS TUMMY IS BIG!" I started laughing and giving Matthew the sign for be quiet, but he thought I was joking. I had to explain that we can think those things, but we can't say them out loud because it hurts peoples feelings.

It reminded me of when my younger sister Trina was 2 years old. She met a great aunt of my mothers who was a rather large woman. Trina says to her "your fat." My mom almost died of embarassment and later had Trina call her to apologize. So you know what Trina says to the great aunt? What any 2 year old would apologize for..."I'm sorry your so fat!" I still laugh when I tell this story. If we could all be so honest like children, but with a bit more tact...

Have a great day! :)

No comments: