Thursday, December 4, 2008

I have a crush...

A blog crush that is!

Blog world is funny. It is sort of like reading a book, watching a movie, or listening to your favorite radio personalities. The relationship (if you can call it that) with the blogger is one sided. You come to know a lot about a person through their posts, but they don't even know you exist.

With that said, I have officially deemed my crush 'my blog boyfriend!' You see, my sisters and I use to call the boys we had small crushes on at church our 'church boyfriend'. It was simply a label, a young girl's silly way to express appreciation for his qualities, and it made for some interesting conversations. Later in my professional life, I referred to (only within the office of course!) the reporter who helped me market my fundraising events as my 'media boyfriend'. Again, just a label referencing the appreciation I had for him and what he offered for a good cause. My blog boyfriend shares his feelings, follows and seeks Christ, and seems like an amazing husband and father. As a single Christian woman seeking just those qualities in a man, I appreciate him. Seeing as I have come to know him through his blog, 'blog boyfriend' seems appropriate and harmless. :)

I found this on a blog the other day and laughed right out loud! I had to add it to this post, seeing as it provoked it. :-)

Looking at the very trusted, often advised Urban Dictionary I find the definition of a crush to be: 1. The act of falling hard for someone even though it is not love yet.
2. A person you find to be attractive (physically, mentally, whatever)
3. An amazing thing that gives you feelings of nerves and excitement whenever you see them.
There was no listing for a “blog crush” so I decided to define it myself. For me it has to meet certain criteria:

1. I can’t wait to read what they post next.
2. I want to be at minimum friends with them.
3. I think they are the shiznit.
4. I find them attractive: physically, mentally, emotionally, spiritually, or whatever floats my boat.
5. If I were to meet them in person, my skin may turn a nice shade of red.


P.S. I have resorted to romance novels. They are nice mix between Aliya's imaginary boyfriend and my blog boyfriend. I can forget about them for a few days, curl up with them after a long day, or just daydream I am the lucky girl in love with a wonderful man. And all the while there is no temptation, no need to 'fluff' a man's ego, no getting let down and no worry about disappointing anyone. Its not ideal, but its something.

2 comments:

What I think... said...

It sounds like you have a crush on a married man... his wife has passed right?

Tarsha Downing said...

For the record, I don't pursue these men, nor do they always know I have deemed them my church, media, or blog 'boyfriend'. I simply like his qualities and want them included in the package God is preparing for my husband. :) Its all in good fun!