Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Just shaking my head...

There's only two types of people in the world
The ones that entertain, and the ones that observe.
Well baby, I'm a put-on-a-show kind of girl...
These are the opening lyrics to Britney Spears new song Circus. We listen to music in the car, (either the kids singing, 'kid music' or the radio.) Today, on the way home from school, we were listening to the radio. This song came on and the following conversation ensued between Aliya and I.

"There ARE NOT only two types of people in the world!" It took me a second to realize she had indeed just heard Britney's lyrics and they weren't suiting her.

"Aliya did you hear what she sang after that? She said ones that entertain and ones that observe."

"What does beserve mean, Tarsha?"

"OBserve means to watch. This means some people are the actors and some people watch them."

"I want to be the actor and the watcher. I'm going to act for my kids and watch movies with them too. I'm going to be both."

"You can be both Aliya. I hope you will do a little of each."

She's certainly the one that entertains now!

The kids and I love the Shirley Temple song "I want a hippopotamus for Christmas' and we sing it ALOT. I printed the words so we didn't have to sing the only parts we knew a thousand times over. I am going to tape them singing it and I'll put it up here. Its so cute! We laugh and change the words too. There is a line that says"I don't want a doll, no dinky tinker toy..." and well, this just isn't true! We all know Aliya wants the Samantha doll and to be honest, I'd take the Kit doll (for my daughter someday!) If you want to listen to the song, it plays after Josh Groban's song at the bottom of the page.

It snowed last night, about 1/2 inch. The kids could hardly contain themselves and insisted they go out and slide down the hill after school. I tried to explain that the little bit of snow we got mixed with all the rain and cold temps that followed meant ice, but they didn't care. They were so excited that I couldn't refuse them. So, they went outside after school with all their gear (bike helmets included) to slide down the hill. And slide down the hill they did, right on their bellies. I heard lots of laughing and giggling, which is always a good thing! Then it was inside for hot cocoa with marsh mellows, eaten with chopsticks by Princess Aliya.

In 3 days, I leave for Guatemala. I have packed and I am looking forward to this much anticipated journey. Please pray for Mike and I as we travel and hopefully meet some of the children we are going for. I always learn something about myself when I take these kind of adventures, and I hope this one is no different.

Dear God,
I thank you for all of the blessings, opportunities and obstacles alike, that you have bestowed upon me. As I reflect on this past year and the new one that is fast approaching, I am in awe of how you knew before I was even born, it would (and will) go this way. I never would have guessed I would be unmarried and going to Guatemala this Christmas, but I couldn't happier. You know my heart Lord, and I know you have big plans for this girl. Thank you for my job, I am amazed everyday that this is my job and I am getting paid to do it. These children are beautiful, inside and out, and I love being such a big part of their lives. I feel blessed to be happy and content in this place. Now, I know you don't like us to be too comfortable, but please don't go shaking things up!
Thank you for the Bible Study group I am in. The people are great and the messages are always relevant. Thank you for my family and friends and the relationships I share with each of them. Please keep them safe this Christmas season as we celebrate your birth. Help us all to be thankful, appreciative, open and forgiving. Afterall, we will be with family and its good to be proactive.
Please be with Mike and I as we travel to Guatemala to serve your people there. Please keep us safe and out of harms way. I pray that you open our hearts and minds to experience all this place has to offer and freely give what we have to offer. I want to do your work there Lord, please reveal yourself to me.
In Jesus' Name,
Amen

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

FYI: I Want a Hippopotomus is NOT a Shirley Temple song, Shirley NEVER sang it! It was sung by Gayla Peevey in 1953.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gayla_Peevey

Anonymous said...

Hi Tarsha,

Thank you for inviting me to read your blog. I am the infamous Joycie, and I am SO GLAD to see my beloved little friends are happy and healthy and having such fun.

You are an answered prayer, Tarsha. I love how you share your life with Aliya and Matt, and I love how you end your entries with a prayer to God.

Dear God,

Thank you for sharing Your Tarshie with us. Help us to love and cherish her more every day. Thank you for this Treasure that you have built, and for how she shares herself and the Christ in her heart, with your world.

Keep her safe and healthy in Guatemala, and bring her back to share the Good News of Your Love for the world.

Lord, you love her more and better than we ever could, but as we follow You, we will catch up! And she is Our Tarshie now too. Bless her and keep her and guide her, hold her close to you and meet all her needs.

In Jesus Name we pray,
Joycie